Monday, March 1, 2021

Montgomery County's Faith Community Advisory Council's eNewletter


FCAC Celebrates Black History Month

A Breath of Fresh Care

 

This is Black History Month and true to our tradition, we take the time to highlight someone from the African American community that we deem worthy of special attention. While this may be helpful to recognize someone of merit, I think it also is an unintentional enabling ritual that allows faith communities to avoid engaging in deeper difficult discussions regarding race, personal and institutional racism. I find it interesting that during a pandemic we have not more forcefully connected the dots before us. We consistently hear that we are living in a divided nation and focus on those things where we have strongly differing opinions. However, I submit to you that it may be time for us to use the same energy and power of mass media to send a different message that will begin to highlight the things we have in common. The major impact of COVID19 on the human body is the inability to breathe and the last words uttered by Eric Garner and George Floyd referenced their inability to breathe. COVID19 is a vivid reminder that irrespective of class, race, nationality, or creed, if you cannot breathe you will die. In some of our faith traditions we are told that the breath of God rendered humanity a living soul. I believe the words we breathe can also create a negative or positive environment. Therefore, I urge everyone to be intentional in how we care for one another so that we all continue to breathe but with a “breath of fresh care”.

 

As faith community servant leaders, we must take control of and shape the narrative of our existence based on the reality of what God would have us to do in caring for His human creation. Hence, the new normal may entail the necessity to put aside biases and socio-political rhetoric in order to connect with one another in a new meaningful way. I humbly offer this suggestion to you knowing that I do not have all the answers, but I do have a desire to bring about a healing and change within and between our respective communities. I have begun to look at two large groupings, the scarred and the scared. When I honestly analyze my interactions with members of the community of humanity at large, I am either attempting to control being scared of what has, is or might happen or heal from a past or present scar. Scared or scarred, what a difference an “R” makes. It is my responsibility to be introspectively honest as to which it is because like it or not my perception, be it conscious or unconscious will determine my reality in the moment. It is only when I own my feelings of being scarred and scared, that I am able to effect positive personal change and increase my intentional effectiveness in extending a healing hand and a “breath of fresh care” to all of humanity. This in part is what I believe occurred when people of all colors joined together to hold our society accountable and call for change.

 

I am sure there will be those who question how they will know what to do or say and use that excuse for their inaction. Thus, I leave you with a thought from the award-winning songwriter, Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds. I offer it as a non-denominational example of the feeling I envision you having when you begin the journey to heal our community with the first step of honest introspection and communication in love. He says, “Oh such tears of joy, I’ve never known, I can’t remember. It’s like a song, I’ve never heard, I’ve never sung, but know the words.” I assure you though you may have never heard or sung/spoken the words of reconciliation, when you act in love, God will give you the words.

 

Peace and blessings to all.

 

 

Reverend Dr. Gareth E. Murray

Associate Pastor

First Baptist Church, Silver Spring

Executive Committee member

Faith Community Advisory Council

REFLECTIONS

Black History Month, Our History Month

By: Rev. Daisy Thompson

 

I would have never dreamed a year ago, that Black History Month would be celebrated on Zoom, or various other means of media, solely. This is an unprecedented perilous time that we are all living through; due to COVID-19. However, thanks be to God, and we give Him all the Glory, for the fact that we are still making History as we speak; even during this COVID-19 pandemic.

We have elected our first, Black, Jamaican Asian, woman Vice President. We have had many peaceful, multiracial demonstrations, protests, and marches in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. The Black Lives Matter Movement, (BLM), is a multiracial cause, that began in 2013, following the death of Travon Martin, but this movement has been energized by the shameful killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and countless other unarmed Black Americans by law enforcement officers. The credit for the intensity of the re-ignition of The BLM movement, that took place during a pandemic, is largely due to our millennials, our youth. This movement went global. It was amazing.

 

Therefore, I am so immensely proud of our young people of all races, who came together to protest a just, and worthy cause. They organized using social media, they marched, they were pepper sprayed, beaten, and arrested; this exemplifies love, and sacrifice for others, that they did not even know. They are our future. Finally, there are countless contributions that African Americans have made throughout history, we are continuing to make strides in the world. But I am proud of the fact, that we are raising young people who are continuing the fight for equality of all people, no matter what the: race, ethnicity, the gender, or the economic status. I believe that, one day, Black History Month will become ”Our History Month." 



 

Teach Us to Pray

By: Rev. Kenneth Nelson

 

Heartfelt thoughts and prayers are vital to our healthy living. I did not realize how important our thoughts until my Aunt Vera Hunter taught me a valuable lesson about prayer. 

 

For some family dinners and special occasions, the meal starts with grace or blessing. I was new to the family, and Aunt Vera offered me an opportunity to pray for Thanksgiving dinner. I thanked her, and I immediately delayed a great dinner. I prayed about the heavens and the earth; I prayed about the rain and the sun; I prayed about the farmers and the crops; I prayed about the grocery stores and the clerks; I prayed about everything except how precious this time was for us to be together.

 

When I finished my elaborate prayer, and the room emptied, Aunt Vera tugged my hand with all the power of 100-pound women and stopped me in my tracks. Then My Aunt Vera quietly and softly said to me: “You have 30 days to learn how to pray for this family. If you can’t get it right, don’t bother coming back in January.” I was shocked and heartbroken; I had no appetite. In an enduring moment, I realized I let my family down and was about to be excommunicated.



But Aunt Vera taught me how to pray and showed me how to have hope. At the next family dinner, I pray for Aunt Vera and the relationships that brought us together and the meal's sharing. I finished the prayer quickly and graciously! Our family was shocked and relieved. My Aunt Vera tugged me again and said quietly and softly: "You can come back next year." Whenever there is grace or a thoughtful moment, I remember Aunt Vera teaching us how to pray.

 



RESOURCES

Caring Matters Offers Grief Resource for Black History Month

 

 As we celebrate Black History Month, we would like to take this opportunity to share a wide variety of resources with the goal of building bridges and enhancing our efforts to better serve the diverse Montgomery County community. The resources at the link below offer important perspectives and unique cultural considerations about grief in the Black community. These voices and resources can help move us closer to a deeper understanding and more compassionate support of our Black family members, friends, and neighbors. 

 

Click for Grief Resources



UPCOMING EVENTS

UNITED IN ACTION is pleased to provide a

Transforum Series: A Conversation on Race and Unity in the Body of Christ. 

 

This event will be held over Zoom; six 60-minute sessions are scheduled every Saturday @ 8:30 am beginning on February 27 and ending April 3.

 

These six sessions together include discussion opportunities with fellow MoCo residents on the important topic of race and unity in the body of Christ. 

Would you like to engage with others with different perspectives and be an agent of healing and unity? 

 

In these virtual sessions MoCo pastors will present on vital themes relating to our unique history, current challenges, and personal involvement. Let's take this much needed time to gain perspective, and allow friendships to form and deepen as we allow unconditional love to rule. 

 

The end goal is to promote unity within the body of Christ so that local churches can act as one in preaching the gospel and meeting the needs of those within our county. 

Join Zoom Meeting 

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84531928011?pwd=VVd4VWdHd3Foemx3NEh1eHBHVUUzQT09

Meeting ID: 845 3192 8011

Passcode: 772613

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,84531928011#,,,,*772613# US (Washington DC)

+16465588656,,84531928011#,,,,*772613# US (New York)



 

 

Please join us for

Cedar Lane’s Kiplinger Lecture

The Ethic of Revolutionary Love with Valarie Kaur

March 3, 2021 

7:30 – 8:30 PM

 

Go to tinyurl.com/kiplingerlecture to register for this exciting free event!

 

Are we ready, after these years of division and chaos, to engage our better angels in the struggle for community, justice, and peace?

 

Please join us to be inspired by Valarie Kaur, dynamic racial justice activist and best-selling author, who champions revolutionary love! . . . Amid the dark days of relentless Covid, our national Capitol desecrated, and justice still but a dream for many, are we in “the darkness of the tomb – or the darkness of the womb”?

 

Read more on the Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church website



 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

COVID-19 Vaccine

 

Montgomery County Government is vaccinating people in Tier 1 of Priority Group 1A and 1B. Priority Group 1B includes teachers, childcare workers, essential workers, and individuals with developmental disabilities. People in Priority Group 1C, Tier 1 (65-74 years old) are also invited to preregister. For more detailed answers to questions about COVID-19 vaccinations in the County, please visit the the Vaccine and Priority Group Information website. Sign up here for vaccine updates.

This website provides a listing of all county food resources. It is regularly updated so be sure to check back often.

Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community. Check out the opportunities available here.

 

Faith Community Advisory Council | 12900 Middlebrook Drive, Germantown, MD 20874