|Click here for program schedule|
Saturday June 15, 10am-4pmSilver Spring Civic Building
1 Veterans Plaza, Silver Spring
We know your time is valuable, so have designed an event filled with: welcoming presentations and uplifting community conversations with experts who have extensive knowledge of support and resources for family/friend unpaid caregivers. For the Resource Fair we have recruited local non-profit organizations that provide caregivers with practical hands-on help. The day will end with a Listening Session – inviting caregivers to share their needs and wants.
You are welcome to attend for a few hours or the whole day!
Our VIP guest is County Executive Marc Elrich – joining us for the 2.45pm Listening Session
As part of the Community Conversations:
- The Smithsonian Museum will feature its groundbreaking SEE ME program for caregivers and their loved ones with Dementia.
- Connect with Respite Care that provides support and peace of mind for family/friend caregivers who live with a loved one.
- Hear about health care support available in faith communities.
- Discover how to keep your loved-one living at home and ensure they stay physically and mentally healthy.
- Learn about adult medical day care that offers reliable and affordable support for frail loved ones still living at home.
The County’s Minority Healthy Initiatives present:
- Asian American Health Initiative, Loneliness and Social Isolation in Asian American older adults. This session will include the launch of its 5th social novel, devoted to caregivers and social isolation, translated into English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Hindi.
- Latino Health Initiative, Healthy Me – Caring for You, for Spanish speakers. This interactive workshop will inspire caregivers to keep fit, maintaining their health and wellness.
- African American Health program, Self-care: Alleviating Stress and Giving Back to Yourself, focusing love of self, delicious food choices for everyday eating and pathways to avoid unique health risks.
The Resource Fair has secured two affordable housing repair non-profits that seek new clients to support; GROWS will help caregivers gather information about their eldercare members; the County’s Recreation, Aging and Disability Services and Transportation are attending ready to connect caregivers with County supports; for caregivers whose loved one is dealing with emotional/mental health challenges we have two local nonprofit provider organizations. Learn how your loved one can stay at home and you can receive support through Respite Care, pick up new Montgomery County specific Caregiver publications in multiple languages (no-cost) and discover what life long learning opportunities are available throughout the County. For the LGBTQIA+ community our team of advisers present a collection of regional health and well-being supports.
- The Care for the Caregiver event coincides with the Silver Spring Farmers Market, 9am-1pm. Perfect to pick up healthy snacks, meal and produce, (it’s OK to bring these into event)
- FREE parking, opposite the Civic Building, Town Square Garage, 801 Ellsworth Dr, Silver Spring, MD 20910